Thursday, March 21, 2013

Great Big Chicago
Part III... THE SHOW!!!

     As is my custom, I will present the notables of the show in bulleted format:

~  The show carried characteristic energy from band and audience, though the onstage banter was somewhat stunted.  Séan seemed to me to be a bit out of sorts – more than once I noticed him staring off into space, and his customary cheeky grins were few and far between.

~  Alan’s first comment concerned the awesome history of the House of Blues Chicago.  His mention of the Blues Brothers sent Séan into blues mode, and he offered us minute renditions of “Flip Flop & Fly” and “Soul Man” before Alan introduced the next song.  He began by pointing out that, “In Newfoundland, our horses are dead before the song even starts… and I’m just now realizing this!”  Séan responded with, “Flip flop fly… I think my horse just died…”

~  Just before sending us into intermission with “Lukey,” Alan boasted that the show up to this point had been nothing more than an opener.  “How was that for an opening act?” he asked us.   “How was that for an appetizer?  How was that for foreplay?”

~  Alan let us know a few songs into the second set that his application for popedom had been rejected.  Since Brit handed him his electric guitar, I assumed this was a precursor to some song that might explain why he was rejected, for example because he’d sold his soul to the devil in exchange for a lifetime of rock ‘n’ roll. Rather, it appeared he was interested in the Pope’s position more for the power than the religion, because he assured us that the world will sing when he is king. 

~  Alan, Bob, and Séan were all wearing black, but Kris and Murray had not received the memo and were both looking slightly less stylish in red/orange plaid shirts.

~  I didn’t get to see much of Chicago due to my short stay, and even less due to the booger-freezingly cold weather, so I did not know that “the best thing about Chicago is that the pubs stay open all night.”

~  Séan thanked the United States for their enthusiastic embrace of St. Patrick’s Day, suggesting that it would have been relegated to a minor holiday by now if the Americans had not insisted on being such passionate celebrants.  He then thanked the United States for American girls, whom he likes so much that he married one.

~  It seems that Bob was not actually at the show but was joining us via hologram.  He was in fact relaxing on a deck chair in Palm Beach or something, sipping a fancy tropical drink.  Fine by me; after my dream the previous night, I was just glad he was still alive.

~  Speaking of Bob, he seemed less than thrilled with my panty-flinging shenanigans.  I actually was as well; I ought to have practiced a bit more in the hotel room, and I may have learned that the flinging release that had worked so well with the last thong I used would not be as efficient for the less-than-aerodynamic-yet-magnificently-colored briefs I had chosen this time around.  They did, however, remain onstage until the last encore, at which point a stealthy stagehand snatched them up in the process of gathering up Bob’s menagerie of instruments.  Even though I was paying attention this time, I still did not actually see it happen. Sneaky stagehands.

~  I have the beginnings an idea for the next show, having met so many audience members this time around that would surely have helped me out.  The idea is as follows: Purchase perhaps six or seven pairs of panties, find cohorts in the audience willing to throw them, and have a small, unexpected shower of panties rain upon Bob.  He would be EXCESSIVELY unamused.

~  “Whataya At?” from the band’s debut CD, was apparently used in a commercial for some manner of toll-free phone service in Newfoundland in 1993 or 4, and we had the pleasure of watching said commercial on the screen behind the band before the b’ys launched into the song.  Alan said he loved the commercial despite its cheesiness because it had suggested to people that they were globe-trotting superstars when in fact the globe that they were trotting at the time consisted of almost the entire southeastern coast of Newfoundland.

~  Disappointingly, Alan informed us that all Great Big Sea shows are actually lip-synched, and proved it to us by pointing out that, “Nobody could bust these wicked dance moves and still have breath to sing.”

~   The band’s first time playing at the HOB Chicago was either 18 years ago or 75 years ago, and they were the first of three opening acts for an artist whose name I do not recall. However, this artist didn’t actually know they were opening for him.  In fact, no one did – apparently they snuck in, set their gear up onstage and were such an opening opening act that they literally played before the doors opened and as folks were coming in.
Marley and Tosh are not the only two dogs in the McCann household.  According to Alan’s introduction to Sean during “The Old Black Rum,” he actually owns “about a thousand Beagles.”
During Bob’s spotlight, Alan introduced him by saying that he “plays the everything.”

Set list!

Ordinary Day

Captain Kidd

Billy Peddle

Heart of Hearts

Jack Hinks

England

Flip Flop Fly Diamond and Soul Man (Sean)

Charlie Horse

Whataya At?

River Driver

Ferryland Sealer

When I’m Up

Yankee Sailor

Come and I Will Sing You

Lukey

INTERMISSION

Let My Love Open the Door

Love me Tonight

The Night Pat Murphy Died

When I am King

General Taylor

The Scolding Wife

Sea of No Cares

Good People

Helmethead (har har)

Consequence Free

Mari Mac

Run Runaway

Live This Life

Old Black Rum

Wave Over Wave

     And now for the post-show excitement, which is the reason the actual show had to exist in its own separate blog.

     Kim stopped on our way out of the House of Blues proper to chat with GBS’s sound guy (she knows freakin’ EVERYBODY,) then we parted ways so she could head back to the Foundation Room and I could find the swag table.  The Chicago’s House is much more complicated than Cleveland’s, with several floors and balconies and hallway thingies, and the merch table was situated next to coat check in what may have been the front of the venue but felt like the back.  A random guy stopped to high-five me, presumably because of my shirt, and we had an odd exchange that I can’t remember the details of.  But I’m pretty sure his drunk girlfriend thought I was into her or something, because she was quite tall and her Sisters were right as my nose height as I shoved through the crowd and I heard her make a slurry and suggestive noise as I passed.

     I got a pin (in case you didn’t know, I have found myself to be a pin collector, and this one now has a position of prestige on the front of my bodhrán case,) a keychain (because I don’t have enough, I guess,) and a signed poster (which, upon boarding the bus home, I discovered I had left in the hotel room – Kim assures me that “this is easily fixed,” so I am not FREAKING OUT TOO MUCH, I SWEAR.)  The swag guy over-charged me by $5, a realization that sunk in about 15 minutes later but at the time only glanced off my brain through the predictable post-concert fog.  I suppose that I can’t complain, having been ever-so-graciously hosted by Kim during my stay and knowing that the money goes to a worthy cause – the cause of letting Alan buy an extra round at the Boulder shows.

     Back in the Foundation Room I immediately ordered myself an ice water, grateful to have a bar so close and convenient after an evening of screaming and standing and dancing.  I sat for what must have been around half an hour, occasionally engaging in conversation but generally getting sleepy and feeling uncomfortable in a crowd that was significantly larger than it had been earlier in the day.  I kept wondering what on earth I was doing there, since I always feel so very out of place in crowds and in this case felt the need to cling to Kim or, in her absence, my bar stool.

     I also spent some time in front of the fireplace, having gotten chilly but not yet resigning myself to cover up my IBOB shirt with my White & Nerdy hoodie (and it was in fact a very romantic-ish fireplace.)  At some point after that period of waiting and being sleepy and wondering if I should turn in, I noticed that the crowd had become slightly more jovial, and when I turned around I was not exactly surprised to see Alan floating around in a sea of people.

    I was slightly embarrassed (well, maybe embarrassed is the wrong word) when I heard Kim say to Alan, “Could you turn around and say hello to my friend Sarah?”  My first thought was, “Ha, Dad!  Alan Doyle shook MY hand!” and my second was, “He was right, Alan does have big hands.”  My third was something about how socially awkward I am that Kim had to get Alan’s attention for me, and how in the heat of the moment I had no idea whatsoever what to say to Alan Doyle once I was face-to-face with him.

     Alan wandered around meeting and greeting, as is his spotlight-loving custom, and perhaps 10 minutes later (time almost has no meaning, in the Foundation Room) I noticed him posing for pictures.  Naturally I followed my instinct, fetching my camera and inching closer until such a time as I could catch his eye.  This involved waiting patiently while two or three deeply inebriated individuals staggered up to him to tell how much they loved him and ask for an autograph.

     “Hi,” I said as casually as was possible under the circumstances, “I was wondering if I could get a picture.”

     He gave me his best charming game face and replied, “Sure, but you have to be in it too.” (As if that wasn’t the idea already.)  Kim was nearby and more than willing to manhandle my camera for me.  She snapped two pictures while I stood for twenty or so blissful seconds with my arm around Alan’s waist.  This picture shall of course become my Twitter avatar, and possibly my phone wallpaper, as soon as it becomes feasible.

     Alan did not comment on my shirt, nor did he mention my panty-flinging shenanigans.  I wanted to ask him what Bob really thought of them, but part of me was certain that if he were to be honest with me, I might not like the answer.  Instead I told him how much I enjoyed reading his journal entries on greatbigsea.com about the time he spent in England training for and filming Robin Hood with Russell Crowe, remembering the jealousy and wonder with which I read of his experiences being trained in theatrical swordfighting, archery, horseback riding, and such.  I had been wondering if the barn I had seen a dream-job posting for, located in Warwickshire, England, was the same barn that had provided the horses and the training for the actors in the movie (they list Robin Hood among their movie credits, but do not specify which incarnation of the story they were involved with.

(NOTE Dad later made the following comment: “You have two songs about horses and you don’t know anything about them?  It’s a wonder you ever got Kit out of Tickle Cove Pond!”  Hahaha.  You so funny, Daddy.)

     I found myself noticing that despite the very close proximity and excessive talking (and the fact that he had a beer in his hand and the very logical assumption that it was not his first of the night) I detected no alcohol on his breath.  In fact, I noticed no untoward scent at all, which I found fascinating.  A bizarre thought flashed across my mind and disappeared as quickly – if Alan Doyle does not become King of the World, he at least has a very real shot at some kind of dental hygiene award.

     I think what excited me the most about this encounter was that for what could have been ten minutes of my life, I had Alan’s undivided attention.  There were dozens of people in that room with us, and he made his rounds as a generous star does, but for those minutes I was a fan, and he was a musician, and he was choosing to talk to me when he could have been with any number of other people.  And not once did he make me feel like I was taking up his time or badgering him unnecessarily (I’m looking at you, Steve Twigger.)  Plus, you know, he hugged me.  J

     Sometime after this moment of Awesome I noticed that Kris had wandered into the Foundation Room.  Brit had parted ways with Kim several minutes earlier, citing bus pull (when the bus is supposed to leave the venue for either the hotel or the next city,) which was supposed to be at 1am.  It was ten minutes past when Kris appeared, apparently having been sent to fetch Alan, who went on cheerily disregarding the face that they were supposed to have left already and was still hob-nobbing with the fans.  Even after my close encounter with sweetheart Alan, I found I had little to no power of social interaction with regard to anyone else, and so Kris went ungreeted by me.  People were filtering out, and I was getting quite sleepy, so I told Kim I was turning in and found my way out of the venue with an absolute minimum amount of getting lost.    

     There is nothing exciting to report from here on out.  I got dressed for bed and snuggled myself under the plush hotel comforter with the customary after-concert bedfellows – a stale headache, ringing ears, a jumping heart, and an overactive mind.  Kim came in just a few minutes after I lay down.  When I heard her cross to her suitcase I rolled over in bed.

“Alan hugged me,” I told her.

She laughed.

SM

No comments:

Post a Comment