Friday, September 11, 2015

Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire

Part 2: Inside the Faire

Me and Claire!!
     Holy cow, that whole experience is already over, and I’m back at work and on my way to having a near-normal schedule between the two jobs.  It’s astounding how much it cost us just to drive to and from the festival.  I had anticipated using one full tank of gas (about $25, for Zoë) per trip.  This ended up being perfectly accurate (see yesterday’s anecdote about my empty gas tank) but the toll roads ended up costing more than twice as much as the gasoline.  Even though we bought no souvenirs, this was an expensive trip!

     The faire itself was quite fun, although I was thoroughly disappointed with the jousting demonstration; of the 30-45 minutes we spent watching, perhaps a minute or two consisted of actual jousting.  The rest was all over-the-top theatrics, knights trash-talking each other, and constant bids for cheers from the audience.  I wanted to see some horses running at each other, dammit!
 
     What else?  Past experience with blogging demands that I mention everything that I can remember, because I’ll likely regret it deeply if I don’t.  It took a lot of effort for me to not buy anything, because there were dresses and corsets and leather and journals and dragons and swords (I legitimately almost bought a sword) and these beautiful shiny necklaces with matching earrings (which I came very, very close to buying) and a lovely velvet cloak of forest green and brown that was exactly what I was looking for around Halloween last year.  I have already looked up the vendors for these last two items (The Fairie Tailor out of Massachusetts and Princessories) and have found their websites, although one of each would run me well over $100, hence my reticence to purchase them at the faire.  I must control myself, because Dad.  Dad and Scotland.  Maybe I should stick a picture of Dad to the back of my debit card.  Self-control, ENGAGE!

     While I did not seriously consider purchasing a drabbit at the faire, it was impossible not to notice the woman shouting in repetitive monotone in the middle of the street that led to the jousting field.  Every time we passed The Imaginarium Gallery, we could hear her calling for takers for the nightly drawing, where you could pick up a raffle ticket (“COMPLETELY, TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY, 100%  FREE!!!”) and possibly win  your very own drabbit.  What is a drabbit, you ask?  A drabbit is, of course, a cross between a dragon and a rabbit.  It is a small dragon-like creature with a fluffy, feathery mane and tail that spends its time, once you have shelled out the money, sitting on your shoulder looking adorable.  Or terrifying.  Or sad.  In fact, drabbits can be found in almost any combination of shape, color, and personality, and were indeed found on the shoulders of at least half of the faire’s child visitors (I can only imagine how many cumulative hours’ worth of whining our fairegoing parents withstand each weekend at the hands of this particular vendor.) The one feature that the creatures all share is a long stick that is stuck down the back of its wearer, under his or her clothing.  In addition to stabilizing the drabbit (I assume,) the end of the stick contains a small medallion that can be secretly twisted to move the drabbit’s head from side to side.  Not quite life-like, but rather ingenious nonetheless.

Miniature Chicken Little seems very
out of place
     The clear popularity of this particular product makes it worthy of mention here, but there was something else the Imaginarium Gallery boasted that enticed me more than their extensive collection of drabbits.  Within the shed that houses the store is a hallway loaded with a glass-enclosed assortment of iconic creatures of literary and filmic fame.  The faces of E.T., Gollum, the Cryptkeeper, Master Yogurt, Medusa, Admiral Ackbar, and the Terror Dogs (of Ghostbusters fame.)  I was unsure if we were allowed to take pictures in the gallery, but I could not resist taking one of the stunningly realistic, life-sized figure of Mohawk, the spiked-gremlin-turned-oversized-spider and one of the primary antagonists of Gremlins 2: The New Batch.
Jason tries on a helmet in the
Pirate's Treasure Ship

     Claire made sure that she got us onto the Pirate’s Treasure Ship (take a hard right after the castle gates,) where I experienced the aforementioned urge to purchase a sword.  They had a special wherein if you bought a film replica sword (Sting, for example, or Andúril, of Lord of the Rings fame,) you could get a dagger-sized replica for free (mix and match, if I’m not mistaken.)  There was also a $20 raffle ticket for sale with an impressive blade as a prize at the other end, but it seemed even more financially irresponsible than just buying a sword outright.  Moreover, Claire declared her resolution to not purchase a sword herself, citing financial responsibility, and I was forced to grudgingly assent that I did not need one either.
 
     One of the first things we saw upon entering the faire was the Historical Glassworks demonstration.  Jason was enthralled by this, and we stopped to watch the master glassblower work his magic.  We didn't get to see much of the demonstration, but the way he and his assistant stretched the glass thirty feet or so before it cooled, then broke the long, thin tube cleanly into short segments, was pretty astounding.  Jason mentioned offhand that he thought it would be a cool thing to learn how to do, and suggested that we try it as a couple's activity (although later I learned that he is more interested in the demonstration than in the learning – and there went a great Christmas gift idea.)
 
     I feel like we didn’t look at a lot of the food vendors (it almost seems as though there was an entire street of food that we didn’t get to see.)  Jason got some pulled pork with sauerkraut and something that was supposed to be a potato pancake but was actually a hash brown, mostly because he was hungry when we got to the pavilion where Tartanic was playing and the German vendor was the only one nearby.  He was set on having a turkey leg from the beginning, and on Sunday Claire knew exactly where to go to get them.  I had planned to just nibble a bit on Jason’s, as I was understandably nervous about getting one for myself and leaving a large portion uneaten after coming up against fat and tendons and gristly bits.  However, an odd thing happened when Jason ordered his leg.  He asked for one, and paid for one, then the cashier shouted, “Two!” down the counter, and suddenly Jason had two turkey legs in his hands instead of one.  Unsure of the protocol when one is handed a spare turkey limb, and quickly becoming crowded out by other fairegoers looking to gnaw on the classic drumstick, he determined that a misunderstanding had taken place somewhere down the line that could not be easily rectified, and handed me the spare leg.  It was a fortunate circumstance not only because we technically got our legs for half price, but because my particular leg was fantastic, and I was able to eat nearly all of it without encountering any significant amount of unappealing squooshy bits.  (I’m realizing as I write this how many photo-ops I missed out on during this weekend.  I might need to start tearing pages out of Cindy’s book and snapping pictures any time half an opportunity presents itself, because a picture of Claire and Jason working through their turkey legs would have been priceless.)
 
     On Sunday, before the Human Chess Match, Jason bugged me into getting an overpriced (and frankly subpar) lemonade, and an similarly overpriced (and frankly delicious) chocolate-dipped banana on a stick.  And… that’s about it for our food-related experiences.  We stopped at a place called the Queen’s Confections, which sold desserts, and a place called the Swashbuckler Public House that sold Scotch eggs, but the prices at these places stopped me from wanting to get anything.

     Show-wise, we saw/heard the last three songs of a Tartanic set, as I mentioned, which was pretty awesome, and Jason surprised the crap out of me by saying that he actually liked their sound and casually suggesting that he should get one of their CDs.  We caught a teeny bit of the Royal Falconer’s act, and teeny snippets of a few others, on Saturday.  The only show we saw from start to finish was the “Ultimate Joust” at the end of the day.  As I have said, this was a jousting event that contained very little jousting and a considerable amount of scripted back-and-forth quibbling between four men in armor.  Jason and I happened to sit on the left side of the audience, which was by tradition, we learned, conscripted to cheer for the “bad guy” knights, Tristian and Robert, who fought not for chivalry and honor, but for blood and glory.  When Tristian came out speaking with a brogue, and the vaguely Orlando Bloom-esque Robert appeared shortly after, I was content that we had chosen a good side.  Their fervently declared thirst for murder and their flagrant male chauvinism toward the queen, however, I could have done without.
King Henry addresses the audience and the mounted knights.
Don't blink, or you'll miss the actual jousting!
     Before too long it became awfully difficult to take any of the knights very seriously.  Their clearly enunciated, clearly scripted shouting, designed for the sole purpose of activating the audience, reminded me very much of the wrestlers I watched when I worked with Al at Mega Championship Wrestling years ago.  Then, after the few hot seconds of actual jousting we got to see, there was a relatively epic battle between the king’s players and the street ruffians that supported Robert and Tristian (also reminiscent of MCW.)
 
Looney Lucy and Ploppy
     Claire offered to guide us through the list of performers at the Sunday faire.  We caught the first half of “Whose Jest is it Anyway?”, an improve show (obviously) that I would have liked to have seen more of, with six players and a host, before scooting off to the Boars Head for a brawl.  The story involved a chest of gold that was being guarded for a lord by one very stoic Captain of the Guard and one slightly goofy yeoman (think Pinky and the Brain,) and the hijinx of the various parties trying to get their hands on it.  The young and inexperienced yeoman was one of my favorite characters at the faire.  Later in the day we saw “Looney Lucy and Ploppy’s Rated X Smut Show,” which was awkwardly entertaining.  This was especially true for the poor audience member they plucked from the front row, unshirted, and subjected to a serious of poetic and, um, very aggressive affections.  Aside from a constant recycling of vagina-based slapstick, it was a pretty good time. 
 
     Ploppy reappeared later in the day with the Mud Squad for a messy reimagining of William Shakespeare’s classic tale of murder and madness in a royal Danish family.  Ploppy took on the role of narrator (and king and queen, as needed,) Ozzie played the plausibly insane Hamlet, and young Snarfy had to make do with racing back into their burlap-screened shack every several moments to change personas in order to perform as every other character in the play.  *note: during most of this show I was working through my delectable aforementioned turkey leg, and as such was slightly less engaged than I might have been*
Captain Bertram Powell takes on... someone?
(I'm not entirely sure who that is. Apologies.)
A young fairegoer is chosen to square off against at least
four adversaries in a game of tug-of-war.
     The Human Chess Match was another very campy sort of scripted and choreographed mix of skill and brawn.  The king and queen sat in their thrones, presiding over a massive chess board filled with players, including the jousting knights and many of the characters we had seen that day.  Henry and Catherine called out directions to their living chess pieces, and when two came into the same square they would face off in combat with swords, pikes, axes, bare hands, etc. The loser would exit the board as it was reset for the next move.  
 
I was torn at one point when the bearish Scotsman Finlay Muir (FREE SCOTLAND!!!) stood up to his English dictator… by insulting not only the queen, but all of womankind.  I suppose that’s something I would have to get used to if I actually want to submerge myself in the Dark Ages.

     In the end the queen won the chess match, but not before the knights, who had been stationed in the four corners of the chess board, had exchanged a few more insults and the king established the rules for the evening’s Ultimate Joust Which Will Contain Very Little Actual Jousting.  This, of course, we did not stay for, having seen the show on the previous night and having not been terribly impressed with it.
 
      However it disappointed me overall, the joust did succeed in one aspect exactly as I had anticipated – it made me dreamily revisit my graduation-era desire to work with jousting horses. The entire experience at the faire, especially the players interacting with visitors throughout the day, made me wish that I had succeeded in that pursuit.  In a roundabout way it also helped to re-concentrate me on my weight loss and body strengthening goals; although I have lost a significant amount of weight since graduation, I’m still not nearly as strong as I would need to be for that line of work.  Balin’s great riding (which Claire also noted on Sunday) stirred an oft-suppressed desire that I am now two decades familiar with.  I want to be in a saddle again.

     Maybe I’ll ask Jason for some strength training advice, if he’s not too annoyed with my too-casual workout philosophy to want to give it a go.  Or, maybe this is all foolish and I should stick with the much more academic pursuits that seem to be currently engulfing my life.  Or maybe I should simply put it on the back burner until after I get my master’s degree, or at least until I find if any of my chosen colleges would be willing to admit me into a master’s program.  Then I’ll try to get back in touch with Shane Adams.  And in the meantime I’ll continue improving myself as much as I can.
 
     Anyway, Jason and I seem to agree on our overall impression of the faire.  I had not been to one since the summer before I left for college, and the Geneva Renaissance Festival seems quite small in comparison to this one, with a ticket cost that grows every year.  Assuming that the cost and other logistics do not get in the way, I would definitely choose to go back next year.  Perhaps I would also expand my Renaissance Festival circle and give tries to a few other festivals that I’ve never been to (that would probably mean getting my research done a lot sooner in the year so as to get things planned accordingly.)
 
     Or… perhaps I will not have to pay for a ticket the next time I go to a festival.  If I can find my way into the traveling barn of a jousting troupe, that is.  A far-fetched dream, perhaps, but one I have not yet had the strength to let go of.

Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire gates,
Mt Hope Estate & Winery, Manhein, PA


No comments:

Post a Comment